Formation of a Committee to Give the Status of Official Language to Rajasthani Language
- 17 Mar 2023
- 3 min read
Why In News?
- On March 16, 2023, Education Minister of Rajasthan, Dr. B.D. Kalla said in the assembly that the Minister of State for Languages has approved the formation of a committee in connection with declaring Rajasthani language as the second official language of Rajasthan.
- The education minister said that this committee will study the model of Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand and submit a report regarding the recognition of Rajasthani language on the lines there.
- It is known that the education minister was replying to the attention motion moved by Member Rajendra Rathore during Zero Hour in the Assembly regarding making Rajasthani language the official language of the state and adding it as a third language in the Board of Secondary Education.
- He said that at present Rajasthani language is included as a literary subject in the curriculum under the Board of Secondary Education. He said that after approval from the competent level, it would be possible to include it as a third language.
- Dr. Kalla said that on August 25, 2003, a resolution was unanimously passed by all the members of the State Legislative Assembly regarding recognition of Rajasthani language and its inclusion in the Eighth Schedule of the Constitution.
- The Central Government has been urged from time to time to include Rajasthani language in the Eighth Schedule of the Constitution. In this regard, requests have been made to the Central Government by the Chief Ministers in the years 2009, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2020 and 2023. He told that at present the matter is under consideration at the level of the Government of India.
- The education minister said that it has come to the notice of the state government that different languages have been made official languages in different states. At present, the Rajasthan Official Languages Act-1956 is in force in the state. The matter is being examined for amendment in the said Act to include Rajasthani language in the official language.
- He said that Mahapatra Committee has also considered Rajasthani language eligible to be included in the Eighth Schedule of the Constitution. Dr. Kalla said that in this regard, the members of the party and the opposition should unite and request the Prime Minister.