Switch To Hindi
Dr. Mamta Chandrakar honored with Sangeet Natak Akademi Award
- 24 Feb 2023
- 4 min read
Why In News?
On February 23, 2023, at a function held in New Delhi, President Draupadi Murmu, renowned folk singer of Chhattisgarh, honored with Padma Shri and Dr. Mokshada (Mamta) Chandrakar, Vice-Chancellor of Indira Kala Sangeet Vishwavidyalaya, Khairagarh, honored with Sangeet Natak Akademi Award.
- President Draupadi Murmu presented Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowships (Akademi Ratna) and Sangeet Natak Akademi Awards (Akademi Puraskar) for the years 2019, 2020 and 2021 in New Delhi.
- It is known that the General Council of Sangeet Natak Akademi, National Academy of Music, Dance and Drama, New Delhi, in its meeting held in New Delhi on 6-8 November 2022, has unanimously nominated ten (10) eminent personalities in the field of performing arts as Academy Awards. Elected as Fellow.
- Fellowship of the Academy is a most prestigious and rare honour, limited to 40 at any given time. With the selection of these ten (10) Fellows, the Sangeet Natak Akademi now has 39 Fellows.
- The General Council has recommended Academy Awards for the years 2019, 2020 and 2021 for overall contribution/scholarship in music, dance, theatre, traditional/folk/tribal music/dance/theatre, puppetry and performing arts for musical drama. One hundred and twenty-eight (128) artists were selected. These one hundred and twenty-eight (128) artists include three joint awards.
- Mamta Chandrakar Khairagarh, who has performed her art in the country and abroad, has been awarded the 2019 Sangeet Natak Akademi Award. Mamta Chandrakar has been awarded the honorary degree of D.Litt by Indira Kala Sangeet Vishwavidyalaya. She was decorated with the Padma Shri in the field of arts by the Government of India in 2016 and the Chhattisgarh Ratna in 2013.
- The Sangeet Natak Akademi is India's national academy for music, dance and drama. In 1952, by a resolution of the (then) Ministry of Education, Government of India, Dr. P.V. Rajamannar was appointed as its first chairman.
- It is currently an autonomous body of the Ministry of Culture, Government of India and is fully funded by the Government for the implementation of its schemes and programmes.
- The Academy establishes institutions and projects of national importance in the field of performing arts. Some important institutions are:
- National School of Drama, New Delhi in 1959.
- Jawaharlal Nehru Manipur Dance Academy, Imphal- 1954.
- Kathak Kendra (National Institute of Kathak Dance), New Delhi- 1964.
- National projects in support of Kutiyathem (Sanskrit theater of Kerala), Chhau dance of Eastern India, Sattriya tradition of Assam etc.
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowship (Akademi Ratna):
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowship is the highest honor conferred by the Sangeet Natak Akademi without distinction of nationality, race, caste, religion, creed or gender.
- Fellowship of the Academy is the most prestigious and rarest honour, which can be awarded to a maximum of 40 people at a time.
- The honor of Akademi Fellow carries a cash award of Rs.3,00,000/- along with a copper plate and angavastram.
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Awards (Academy Awards):
- Awards are given to artists in the field of music, dance, theatre, traditional/folk/tribal music/dance/theatre, puppetry and performing arts etc. for overall contribution/scholarship.
- The Akademi Award consists of a Tamrapatra and Angavastram along with a cash prize of Rs.1,00,000/-.