Switch To Hindi
Country's Largest Millet Processing Industry in Kanker
- 08 Oct 2022
- 4 min read
Why In News?
On October 7, 2022, Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel inaugurated the country's largest millet processing industry set up at Nathia Navagaon in Kanker district. This will benefit farmers cultivating Kodo-Kutki-Ragi as well as women self-help groups.
- On this occasion, Chief Minister Mr. Baghel said that this unit established under millet mission is the highest capacity unit in India. The annual processing capacity of this unit is 10 to 12 thousand tonnes, which will require about 34 to 40 tonnes of Kodo-Kutki-Ragi per day.
- In this processing unit, Kodo-Kutki-Ragi will be processed by 7 types of machines and rice and their porridge, semolina, flour vermicelli, pasta, soup mix, biscuits, cookies, laddoos etc. will be made from Kodo-Kutki-Ragi. They will also be packaged. These products will be marketed at national and international level.
- He said that cashew processing unit has been set up by Chhattisgarh government at Bakawand in Bastar, which is benefiting the farmers there. Tamarind processing unit has been set up in village Dhuragaon of Lohandiguda development block, which will benefit tamarind collectors.
- Subsidy will also be provided by CSIDC for the promotion of this unit set up under the Millet Mission of the Government of Chhattisgarh. Came to set up this unit. I. M. R. An MoU has been signed with Hyderabad between Avani Ayurveda Private Limited and district administration North Bastar Kanker for technical know-how, high quality seeds, setting up of seed bank and training.
- The processing unit of Avani Ayurveda Private Limited will provide direct and indirect employment to more than 100 people and will also benefit about 4 thousand farmers of the district and about 25 thousand farmers of the state, who cultivate Kodo-Kutki-Ragi crop. At the same time, women's groups who buy them will also benefit. With the establishment of this unit, the farmers of the district will be encouraged to cultivate Kodo-Kutki-Ragi.
- It is worth mentioning that 'Millet Mission' has been started from the year 2021 with the aim of promoting the product, processing and use of millet in the state of Chhattisgarh. More than 20 districts of Chhattisgarh produce millets.
- From the year 2020-21, for the first time, arrangements were made for purchase of Kodo, Kutki and Ragi through primary minor forest produce cooperative societies while fixing the support price. The support price has been fixed at Rs 30 per kg for Kodo and Kutki and Rs 33.77 per kg for Ragi. Apart from this, input subsidy is also being given by the state government under 'Rajiv Gandhi Kisan Nyay Yojana' for the cultivation of other profitable crops instead of paddy.
- Millets such as Kodo-Kutki-Ragi are highly nutritious cereals. Millets are gluten free and are rich in protein, dietary Fiber, vitamins and minerals. Millets are beneficial for obesity, diabetes, heart disease and many other diseases and they also increase immunity.