Central Government approves Recovery and Reconstruction Plan for reconstruction of Joshimath
- 04 Dec 2023
- 2 min read
Why in News?
On November 30, 2023, the high-level committee headed by Union Home Minister Amit Shah approved the Recovery and Reconstruction Plan of Rs 1658.17 crore for the reconstruction of Joshimath affected by landslides.
- It may be noted that Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami had requested Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Union Home Minister Shah to approve the proposal.
- Under the scheme, central assistance of Rs 1079.96 crore will be provided from the Recovery and Reconstruction Window of the National Disaster Response Fund (NDRF).
- The state government will provide Rs 126.41 crore from the State Disaster Response Fund (SDRF) and Rs 451.80 crore from the state budget for relief. This includes the cost of land acquisition of Rs 91.82 crore for rehabilitation.
- The state government has made a budgetary provision of Rs 1000 crore for the rehabilitation and reconstruction plan of Joshimath in the financial year 2023-24.
- The state had sought a package of Rs 2942.99 crore from the Central Government for the reconstruction and rehabilitation plan of Joshimath. This includes construction of 150 prefabricated houses, site development work, interim relief, compensation for damage to residential & commercial infrastructure, compensation for land belonging to families living in vulnerable areas, permanent rehabilitation of affected people and acquisition & development.