Cell Broadcast Technology
- 23 Mar 2023
- 3 min read
Why in News?
According to the information received from the media on 22 March 2023, in a workshop organised by the Uttarakhand State Disaster Management Authority (USDMA), Ronen Daniel, CEO of Utimaco Company, while giving his presentation on cell broadcast technology, said that this technology can be used to alert people in minimum time in times of disaster.
- Cell broadcast technology can prove to be effective for the state of Uttarakhand surrounded by potential disasters. Through this, the damage caused after disasters like cloudburst, lightning, avalanche, landslide can be reduced to a great extent. This technology alerts people through mobile phones in case of disaster.
- In such a situation, all the mobiles present in the potential disaster area will start ringing automatically, even if the network in that area has come to a standstill.
- The cell broadcast technology system can disseminate CMAS alerts, which is the best standard in the world for issuing alerts.
- Utimaco Company CEO Ronen Daniel said that before the CMAS alert, there is a loud beeping sound on the mobile, a continuous vibration in the alarm tone and a pop-up message that does not stop until the concerned person closes it himself. It has the capability to alert millions of people within a few minutes. Meteorological warnings are also issued through this technique.
- It is known that all the countries of the world like Japan, Canada, United Arab Emirates, Israel, Korea, Netherlands, European Union are adopting this technology today. In India, the state of Andhra Pradesh has adopted this technique, where there is a danger of tsunami and cyclone.
- Salient Features of Cell Broadcast -
- Real time and location-based alerts.
- Mobile numbers are not required. SMS can reach one million people in a few seconds.
- There is no subscriber privacy issue, as cell broadcast does not require mobile numbers for transmission.
- Works even when there is a network jam (effective during flare-ups of communal riots, etc.).
- Data is not required, works in multiple languages simultaneously.
- Complies with all emergency standards.