Cabinet approves setting up of new Chakrata Township
- 01 Jun 2023
- 2 min read
Why in News?
- According to the information received from the media on 31 May 2023, the Uttarakhand Cabinet has approved the proposal to set up the new Chakrata Township of Dehradun district.
- The area from Purori to Lakhwar Yamuna Bridge will be included in the township. The much-awaited township will be constructed by the Mussoorie Dehradun Development Authority (MDDA).
- It is known that former District Panchayat President Ramsharan Nautiyal had laid the foundation stone of Navin Chakrata on 6 November 1997. It was due to his efforts that on 26 November 2021, Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami announced the establishment of the new Chakrata township in his previous tenure.
- Purodi, Ramtal Garden, Birmou Kandi, Sajiana, Makhti Pokhari, Chaurani Danda, Bairatkhai, Shikhai Danda, Chauri Danda, Panchoi Danda, Waidhar, Gangrau Danda, Gyava Danda, Chitada Danda, Shyamdhar, Jhulka Danda, Nagthat, Tikarthat, Banithat, Dyundilani, Deshgad, Pipaya, Matiana, Jakhod, Sania etc. will be the parts of the township.
- The construction of the township will also boost tourism in the area. At present, there are a limited number of hotels and business establishments in the Chakrata Cantonment area due to restrictions. The promotion of tourism will also create employment opportunities.
- This is the second major gift to Jaunsar Bawar after getting tribal area status. With the settlement of the township, the tribal area will touch a new dimension of development.