Bihar Municipal Plastic Waste Management (Amendment) Model Bye-laws 2022
- 13 Dec 2022
- 4 min read
Why In News?
- On December 12, 2022 Bihar Municipal Plastic Waste Management (Amendment) Model Bye-law, 2022 was approved in a meeting of the Bihar Cabinet chaired by Chief Minister Nitish Kumar. Under this, for the first time, the government has made a provision to impose a fine on those who use single-use polythene.
- After the cabinet meeting, Additional Chief Secretary of the Cabinet Irrigation Department Dr. S Siddhartha told the press conference that now those using single-use polythene and items made from it will have to pay a fine. The penalty amount has also been fixed on those who manufacture, import, store, distribute and sell it.
- According to the provision, it will also be illegal to organize any sports and gatherings and use single-use polythene in it without informing the local body and making arrangements according to this bye-laws.
- For depositing more than 100 persons, the organizer will have to pay a fine of Rs 1500 for the first time, Rs 2,000 for the second time and Rs 2500 every time thereafter. If there is more than one organizer, all of them will have to pay different fine amounts.
- Additional Chief Secretary said that single-use polythene and items made from it include plastic dandiya of ear buds, plastic dandiya of balloons, plastic flags, candy sticks, ice cream dandiyas, items made of polystyrene (Pharmocol) for decoration, cups, plates, glasses, cutlery items such as thorns, spoons. These include plastic films wrapped or packaged around sweet cartons, invitation cards and cigarette packets, and plastic or PVC banners with a thickness of less than 100 microns.
- Those using materials like earbuds, flags, candy sticks, plate cups, forks and spoons will be fined Rs 2,000 for the first time, Rs 3,000 for the second time and Rs 5,000 for repeat offences. Similarly, commercial users of these materials will be fined Rs 1500 for the first time, Rs 2500 for the second beer and Rs 3500 for more.
- Apart from this, a fine of Two thousand rupees will be charged for the first time, three thousand rupees for the second time and five thousand rupees every time for the use of multi-layer packaging or plastic seat or cover made of plastic seat or sheet of similar item which is not labeled or marked according to plastic waste management.
- For the first time, a fine of Rs 2,000 will be imposed, Rs 3,000 for the second time and Rs 5,000 per time.
- The fine for littering plastic waste in public places, parks, drains, archaeological sites and other prohibited places will be Rs 1,000 for the first time, Rs 1,500 for the second time and Rs 2,000 every time thereafter.