Beginning of Rajasthan State Mahavriksh Competition
- 14 Aug 2023
- 2 min read
Why is News?
On August 11, 2023, the Rajasthan State Biodiversity Board has launched the Rajasthan State Mahavriksha Competition with an aim to promote conservation of local trees.
- Through the competition, the common people can win cash prizes by nominating a living big tree. The last date for receipt of nominations is September 15, 2023.
- Board Member Secretary Rajiv Chaturvedi said that efforts are being made to find large trees of different species through the competition. For this, entries of locally and culturally valuable tree species have been invited by the general public.
- It lists 113 species of trees including Peepal, Banyan, Rohini, Mango, Chironji, Sitaphal, Dates, Kaira, Kalpa Tree, Amla, Shisham, Googgal, Akashneem, Rohida, Mulberry, Beelpatra, Kadamb, Teak, Amaltas, Tamarind, Neem, Khejri.
- The general public can send the entries offline with photos of the big old tree of these species. Online entries can be sent by e-mail to the applicant at firstname.lastname@example.org or by WhatsApp at 6350697765.
- The committee constituted by the Board will select the big tree and prizes will be given to the winners.
- Out of the listed species, the largest tree at the state level will be awarded Rs 1500, the largest tree at the district level will be given Rs 1500, the largest tree covered with canopy in terms of area will get Rs 3000 and the best ten trees with different and special morphological characteristics will be given Rs 1500 per tree.
- Also, an amount of Rs 11,000 will be given to the department, NGO, agency or BMC under a special award to spread awareness about this program.