Almora's Lakshya Sen got Arjuna Award
- 01 Dec 2022
- 2 min read
Why In News?
- On November 30, 2022, President Draupadi Murmu conferred the Arjuna Award on shuttler Lakshya Sen, a resident of Almora in Uttarakhand, at a ceremony held at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- President Droupadi Murmu presented the Sports and Adventure Awards 2022 at the ceremony. These awards include Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award-2022; Dronacharya Award-2022; Arjuna Award-2022; Dhyan Chand Award-2022; Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award-2021; National Sports Promotion Award-2022 and Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Trophy-2022.
- Lakshya Sen was born on August 16, 2001, in Tilakpur ward of Almora. Lakshya Sen started playing badminton at the young age of four.
- Lakshya's father DK Sen has been a badminton coach with the Sports Authority of India and is currently training at the Prakash Padukone Badminton Academy, Bengaluru.
- Lakshya Sen has so far won 26 medals at national and international level. Of these, 16 are gold medals. Lakshya Sen's elder brother Chirag Sen is also an international badminton player. Chirag has been number two in the Junior National Badminton Championships and Junior World Championships.
- Lakshya presented the Arjuna Award to his Grandfather Late. Dedicated to CL Sen. Lakshya's grandfather CL Sen was the best player of badminton. During his time he had won many state and national level competitions in Veteran. He promoted badminton game in Almora. He is also known as Bhishma Pitamah of Badminton in Almora.