90% of Eco-Tourism Earnings will be spent on the Local Community
- 22 May 2023
- 2 min read
Why in News?
On 18 May 2023, the Uttarakhand cabinet approved the proposal for revenue sharing in eco-tourism activities. Under this, 90 % of the income from eco-tourism in Uttarakhand will be spent at the local level.
- Under the proposal passed by the cabinet, 10 % of the earnings in the first year from the fees charged for various items (entrance fee, adventure activities, parking, stay facilities, camping) in new eco-tourism destinations in forest areas outside the protected areas and in the coming years, 20 % will be deposited in the account of the government.
- Organizations & committees formed at the local level for conducting tourism activities will be able to spend this money on the maintenance of tourist places and other items.
- This system will remain in force till the first year, while from the second year onwards 20 % of the earnings will go to the government and 80 % to the local community.
- Apart from this, for such eco-tourism destinations, whose income exceeds Rs 5 crore after a time, then the additional amount will be deposited in the state fund. Regarding already operated eco-tourism destinations, 20 % will be deposited in the treasury, while 80 % will remain with the local bodies for their maintenance etc.
- Three awards will also be given to the districts which have done excellent work in developing eco-tourism destinations. Rs 1 crore will be given as the first prize, Rs 75 lakh for the second and Rs 50 lakh for the third prize.
- The districts will use this prize money to take forward other activities of eco-tourism. The district which comes first will not be considered for this award for the next three years.
- It may be noted that the Uttarakhand Eco-Tourism Development Corporation was established in 2016 under the Companies Act, of 2013. Under this, a proposal for revenue sharing has now been passed.