26 Aug 2022
GS Paper 4
Day 47: Describe the meaning of "probity" and how it relates to India's civil services. (150 words)
- Start the answer by defining the concept of probity.
- Discuss the relevance of probity in Civil services.
- Conclude suitably.
Probity and its synonyms honesty, honor, and integrity all mean uprightness of character or action, with some slight differences in emphasis. It stands for impeccable standards of morality in public life. It is the quality or condition of having strong moral principles, integrity, good character, honesty, decency.
Relevance of Probity in Civil services:
- Probity for civil servants elucidates that a civil servant should not only adhere to the conventional civil services values like performance, integrity, and patriotism. She/He shall also uphold the ethical and integrity values like respect for human rights, morality in public life, and compassion for the downtrodden and dedication to their welfare.
- It helps in building trust and confidence, which is required for the formation of an environment where there is a premium on honesty, transparency, openness, boldness, fairness and justice.
- It prevents unethical practices like misconduct, fraud, favoritism, criminalization of governance, self-centered functionaries and corruption in governance.
- It ensures public interest and cooperation in governance for participatory governance. It will bring the lost public trust back and help in achieving inclusive growth.
Probity and honesty in governance are essential and vital requirements for an efficient and effective system of governance and for socio-economic development. Thus, it is an urgent need of the time that not only the public servants but the whole society adopts such values in their day-to-day life.