1. ‘Loya Jirga’ a mass national gathering of ethnic, religious, and tribal communities is held in which country?
Afghanistan. Loya Jirga is a mass national gathering that brings together representatives from the various ethnic, religious, and tribal communities in Afghanistan. It is a highly respected centuries-old consultative body that has been convened at times of national crisis or to settle national issues.
2. ‘Sputnik V’, a Covid-19 vaccine was recently discovered by which country?
Russia. Russia became the first country to officially register a Covid-19 vaccine and declare it ready for use.The vaccine has been called Sputnik V, named after the first artificial Earth satellite, Sputnik-I launched by the Soviet Union. It is the first Covid-19 vaccine to be approved.
3. Mt. Sinabung, which was recently seen in the news for volcanic eruption is located on which island?
Sumatra Island. Mt. Sinabung, an active volcano on Indonesia’s Sumatra island has erupted. It is located in Karo regency, North Sumatra. It is among more than 130 active volcanoes in Indonesia, which is prone to seismic upheaval due to its location on the Pacific’s Ring of Fire.
4. Galapagos archipelago, a UNESCO World Heritage Site is part of which country?
Ecuador. The Galapagos Islands, spread over almost 60,000 sq km, are a part of Ecuador. These are located in the Pacific Ocean around 1,000 km away from the South American continent. Ecuador reported as a flotilla of 260 mostly Chinese fishing vessels– what some called a “floating city”– was sighted near the Galapagos archipelago, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, whose aquatic species such as manta rays and sharks have been endangered by commercial fishing.
5. ‘Operation Breathing Space’ which was recently launched by India is in association with which country?
Israel. Recently, an Israeli team arrived in India with a multi-pronged mission, codenamed Operation Breathing Space to work with Indian authorities on the Covid-19 response. India’s Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Israel’s defence ministry research and development team are working together to develop four different kinds of rapid testing kit for Covid-19 which can give the result within 30 seconds.