1. Identify this country which has experienced unprecedented forest fire in its rainforests, which caught global attention recently.
Brazil, Amazon rain forests. According to data from Brazil's National Institute for Space Research (INPE), the Amazon Forests in Brazil has experienced 74,155 fires since January 2019. This is an 85% increase from the last year (2018) and significantly higher than that in the year 2016, when there were severe drought conditions in the region associated with a strong El Nino event. Moreover, there is nothing abnormal about the climate this year or the rainfall in the Amazon region, which is just a little below average.
2. Identify the country where Vatnajokull National Park, which was recently added to UNESCO's World Heritage List, is situated.
Iceland. The Iceland’s Vatnajokull National Park was recently added to UNESCO's World Heritage List, is situated in the largest ice cap in Europe i.e Vatnajokull Glacier. Vatnajokull National Park is situated in the south Iceland and was officially formed in 2008 by joining together Jokulsargljufur and Skaftafell National Parks. It is the largest National Park in Europe and covers an area of 12,000 square kilometers.
3. Identify this country where first-ever World Youth Conference for Kindness was organised by the UNESCO’s Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace and Sustainable Development (MGIEP).
New Delhi, India. The first-ever World Youth Conference for Kindness was organised by the UNESCO’s Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace and Sustainable Development (MGIEP) and Ministry of Human Resource (MHRD) at New Delhi. The theme of the conference was ‘Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam: Gandhi for the Contemporary World: Celebrating the 150thbirth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.’
4. Identify this country which has recently set sail a ship that has floating nuclear units.
Russia. Akademik Lomonosov, a Russian ship that has floating nuclear units, started its first journey from the Russian port of Murmansk to the arctic town of Pevek despite opposition from environmental groups. It the world’s only floating power unit and the world's northernmost nuclear installation.
5. Identify this country which is situated in the southwestern coast of the Persian Gulf as an archipelago of 1 main and some 30 smaller islands.
Bahrain. Bahrain, small Arab state situated in a bay on the southwestern coast of the Persian Gulf. It is an archipelago consisting of Bahrain Island and some 30 smaller islands. Its name is from the Arabic term al-bahrayn, meaning “two seas.” The Prime Minister of India, recently visited Bahrain, and launched a USD 4.2 million redevelopment project of the 200-year-old Lord Sri Krishna temple in the Bahraini capital, Manama. This is the first time that an Indian Prime Minister has visited Bahrain.