About Drishti IAS
'Drishti The Vision' was founded on 1st November 1999. Since then, we have been one of the top choices for preparing for the UPSC Civil Services Examination (CSE).
In recent years, and especially in the Hindi medium, there have been more than a thousand selections from Drishti IAS. We, therefore, believe that students who follow our methods and work hard on our scientifically designed schedules shall achieve success in this examination. With this goal in mind, we have finally decided to design, develop and prepare a one-of-a-kind course for English medium aspirants.
Another reason for launching our English medium course is to fill a void in the UPSC coaching community. This void, as described by many of the aspirants, is that of a well-structured and intensive classroom programme. Aspirants want a classroom programme that gradually takes them from the very basics of a subject to the level needed for UPSC CSE. They also need classroom programmes that do not burden them to the extent of them being not able to maintain their own study time.
Our newly designed classroom programme, therefore, caters to the needs of the aspirant in a variety of ways. Let us see how.
First, in our classroom programme and for best learning outcomes, we are not only going to provide regular class-notes but include class-tests based on these notes as well.
Second, every month, we are going to hold class-tests from our magazine Drishti Current Affairs Today (DCAT) for developing a thorough understanding of Current Affairs.
Third, we will also provide top quality reading material curated by our content team.
Fourth, our classroom programme is intensive. We are not only going to cover the full syllabus but also test the aspirant for retention. That is why we have integrated the Prelims & Mains Test Series with the classroom program at no extra cost.
Fifth, we have also integrated our web-based learning modules with our classroom program. This way, all Drishti students will stay updated with the latest content from Drishti IAS.
Why Drishti IAS?
The Civil Service Examination (CSE) is considered to be one of the toughest exams, owing to the vast and dynamic nature of its syllabus. It is a challenge for any student to prepare this syllabus and to ensure that they get their names on the final list of selected candidates.
We, at Drishti IAS, want to accept this challenge and work with students in such a way that they clear the exam within a limited time. This is also why our holistic academic programme is designed to address most of the problems faced by UPSC aspirants.
Our approach for General Studies (GS):
We realise the importance of GS and hold the view that it should be prepared at depth and in great detail. Moreover, the nature of questions asked in GS these days is such that only selective study cannot help. This is why we have planned our GS Preliminary and Main batches for 15 months.
Apart from this, we also believe that the preparation for Preliminary and Main Exam should be carried out together because a lot of the topics overlap. The fundamental difference is that in Preliminary exam the correct answer has to be chosen from the given options, while in the Main Exam various aspects related to a topic has to be written as essay type answers. In other words, while the Preliminary Exam tests the accuracy of an aspirant's knowledge, the Main Exam tests the skills of articulation. It is therefore advisable that a given topic should be prepared in a manner that both exams are covered.
About Our Faculty Members:
The biggest strength at Drishti IAS is our faculty members who are driven by excellence. In order to maintain this excellence, we have deliberately kept the procedure for selection of teachers very very stringent.
Teachers are appointed only when they clear a multi-stage selection process. Also, subject experts for each section of General Studies are appointed only when such experts have displayed a thorough understanding and depth of knowledge in their respective subjects. Subject experts also need to demonstrate that they have outstanding presentation skills before getting selected.
Drishti IAS follows a unique teaching methodology which sets us apart from the rest.
- We believe in building a proper understanding, a foundation, instead of rote learning. Our focus is that each student gets to understand and assimilate the basic concepts thoroughly. Memorising any information on any topic becomes much easier once one understands it.
- Faculty at Drishti IAS also do not believe in merely keeping students busy in class, taking down dictated notes. Instead, the focus is on explaining concepts clearly and for notes, providing handouts and printed material that covers all the relevant information needed in the class. Students can write down only those points that may need further class discussions.
- An effort is being made at Drishti IAS in using a teaching methodology that helps students understand abstract concepts easily. This method uses images and videos through audio-video systems.
- Students at Drishti IAS also have the full freedom to ask and clear any doubt from any of the teachers, if such a need arises. We even have a dedicated Academic Support Team that is available to students when teachers may not be available for doubt clearing.
- We also hold Special Discussions that address the difficult sections of the exam and show our students how to prepare and answer them.
- Drishti IAS' teaching methodology also allows for the course to be completed in time and leaves students enough time on their hands to revise and prepare on their own.