Suicides in India
- 03 Jul 2019
- 1 min read
According to National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB)’s ‘Accidental Deaths and Suicides in India’ report for 2015, there were 1,336,623 suicides across the country that year.
- Among all states, Maharashtra (16,970) had the highest number of suicides in 2015.
- It is followed by Tamil Nadu (15,777).
- In exception, Uttar Pradesh, the most populous state, had the 11th highest suicide count (3,902).
- Bihar, one of the country’s most populous states, was another exception, with its count of 516 suicides lower than that of many smaller states.
- As per report, one-third of the suicides in the country in 2015 were committed by young adults under age 30, and another one-third by people in the age group 30-45.