Nov 15, 2016
Why in News:
- Recently in a huge haul, the Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) has confiscated 23.5 tonnes of banned Mandrax tablets at Udaipur, Rajasthan.
- The tablets, estimated to be worth over Rs. 3,000 crore, were meant for illegal exports to Mozambique and South Africa
Mandrax is compiled by means of the mixing of chemicals in a chemical process and a tablet is then produced. The active ingredient in Mandrax is Methaqualone.
- Mandrax was originally known as a safe and non-dependent drug. It was the drug that people reckoned was going to be the miracle cure of the world at its time.
- It was however found that Mandrax had various side effects, especially if it was used with Dagga and alcohol, which was life threatening because it caused psychological and physical dependency. Problems due to it:
- serious emotional problems
- drastic weight loss
- stomach cramps
- toxic psychosis
- the muscle control of the body is effected which causes the Mandrax user to fall often