Republic Day Tableaux
Why in News
The government has selected 22 tableaux proposals — 6 by central government departments and ministries and 16 by states and Union Territories (UTs) — for the Republic Day parade in 2020.
- A total of 32 states and UTs, and 24 ministries and departments had sent their tableau proposals for the Republic Day 2020 parade.
Selection Process of Tableaux
- The Ministry of Defence carries out the selection process of tableaux for the Republic day parade.
- The Ministry sets up an expert committee with distinguished people from various fields of arts to shortlist the tableaux proposals received from various states and organizations.
- The expert committee consists of prominent persons in the field of art, culture, painting, sculpture, music, architecture, choreography, etc.
- In order for all states to get representation, states are given representation on a rotational basis.
- It needs to be noted that writing or use of logos on tableaux is not allowed except the name of states or Union Territories that are presenting it on the day of the parade. There is also a pattern to where the names of the states should be written — in Hindi in the front, in English on the back and in regional language on the sides of the tableau.
- India became a free nation on 15th August, 1947 which is celebrated as the Independence Day.
- Republic Day is celebrated as the day when India acquired a written Constitution and became an independent republic.
- The term ‘Republic’ indicates that India has an elected head called the President.
- The Constitution of India was adopted by the Constituent Assembly on 26th November , 1949 and came into effect on 26th January, 1950.
- 26th November is observed as the Constitution Day.
- 26 January was chosen to be observed as the Republic Day because it was on this day in 1930 when the Indian National Congress (INC) declared Purna Swaraj or Indian independence from the British regime.
- During INC’s Lahore session of December 1929, Purna Swaraj resolution was passed. The session was presided by Jawaharlal Nehru.
- The chief guest of 2020 Republic Day parade will be Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro.