Centre of Excellence in Blockchain Technology | 20 Jan 2020
Why in News
Recently, the Union Government has launched the Centre of Excellence (CoE) in Blockchain Technology in Bengaluru.
- The CoE will provide world-class blockchain services to the government by identifying and sharing suitable data for the use of government departments.
- Centre of Excellence in Blockchain Technology has been set up by the National Informatics Centre (NIC).
- Set up in 1976, National Informatics Centre (NIC) is a premier technology advisor and ICT solution provider to Government at all levels through its ICT Network, NICNET. It plays a crucial role in the development of critical e-Governance solutions and a host of other services required by the Government.
- Objective: To provide Blockchain as a Service (BaaS) for efficient hosting of Blockchain network and allowing all stakeholders to benefit from shared learning, experiences and resources.
- Blockchain-as-a-Service (BaaS) is a third-party cloud-based infrastructure and management for companies building and operating blockchain apps.
- Proof of Concepts: The CoE will facilitate the Government Departments in building proof of concepts for use of Blockchain technology in different dimensions of governance.
- Enhanced Transparency: Applications of Blockchain in the Government are expected to enhance transparency, traceability and trust in e-governance systems.
- Centre of Excellence in Blockchain Technology is the third such centre, following the Centre of Excellence for Data Analytics (CEDA), New Delhi and Centre of Excellence in Artificial Intelligence (CoE in AI).
- A Proof of Concept (POC) is an exercise to test the design idea or assumption. The main purpose of developing a POC is to demonstrate the functionality and to verify a certain concept or theory that can be achieved in development.
- Prototyping is a valuable exercise that allows the innovator to visualize how the product will function.
- While a POC shows that a product or feature can be developed, a prototype shows how it will be developed.
- Blockchain technology is upcoming & niche technology and adoption of the same in sectors such as health, finance, agriculture and various other sectors would aid the government in implementing various programmes.