33 Centres of Khelo India Inaugurated in Rajasthan | 24 Aug 2023
Why In News?
- On August 23, 2023, Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports, Anurag Singh Thakur inaugurated 33 centers of Khelo India in the state of Rajasthan at Sawai Mansingh Stadium, Jaipur.
- The Union Minister announced that a National Center of Excellence along with a dedicated Sports Science Center will be set up in 18 other Khelo India centers in Rajasthan. Thus, the total number of Khelo India centers in the state will be 51.
- Along with this, it was also announced that competitions would be organized between Khelo India centers, while the 'Coaching the Coach' program would be extended to 'Khelo India' centres. The coaches and the coaches at the Khelo India Center will be trained in association with national and international coaches.
- It is known that more than 17,000 athletes are currently training at Khelo India Centers (KICs) and 699 former champion athletes are already on the job across the country.
- At present the total number of Khelo India centers notified across India is 960, out of which 715 are operated by KIC. The total number of notified KICs in Rajasthan is 33, out of which 32 KICs are functional. These KICs are specialized training centres, focused on sports disciplines such as cycling, basketball, wushu, hockey etc.
- The small Khelo India centers help in strengthening the sports eco-system at the grassroots level by enhancing the utilization of existing sports related infrastructure available in schools, organizations and other eligible agencies at the block or district level.
- Former champion athletes become coaches and mentors for the youth at KIC, autonomously running sports training centers and earning their livelihood. Under the Khelo India scheme, along with these former champions, initial and annual financial assistance is also provided to these centers for sports training, coaching and operations.