Remote Monitor for Covid-19 Cases
Why in News
Recently, Bharat Electronics Ltd. and the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) Rishikesh, have jointly developed a remote patient health monitoring system.
- Use: The remote patient health monitoring system can be installed at homes or hospitals premises to reduce the risk of exposure to healthcare workers to Covid-19 while attending to persons undergoing isolation.
- Features: The device has non-invasive sensors and it measures temperature, pulse rate, saturated oxygen level, and respiration rate.
- It shows the severity of the patient’s condition in different colour codes.
- Benefit: The system is expected to reduce the increasing demand of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and logistics.
- The system will also help to generate hot spots using the system’s data analytics software so that authorities can contain these zones.
- Functioning: A mobile app and Web browser have been developed. People who show symptoms of infection get enrolled with AIIMS - Rishikesh.
- The hospital will assess their complaints and if found necessary, will provide these individuals with a kit to help monitor their health parameters regularly.
- Patient health parameters, along with patient location, are uploaded on a regular basis to a Centralised Command & Control Centre (CCC) on cloud using either the patient’s mobile phone or integral GSM SIM card.
Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL)
- BEL is an Indian state-owned aerospace and defence company. It is a Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) under the Ministry of Defence of India.
- It primarily manufactures advanced electronic products for the Indian Armed Forces.
- It has been granted Navratna status.
- BEL also develops Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs) and Voter-verified Paper Audit Trail (VVPATs).