Eco Clubs | 24 Dec 2019
Why in News
The first annual meeting of the State Nodal Agencies implementing the National Green Corps Ecoclub programme was recently organized by the Environment Ministry’s Education Division in collaboration with the GEER Foundation (Gujarat). It was held from 20th-21st December 2019 in Kevadia, Gujarat.
- Best Ecoclub Award at national level were also awarded to the students of the Ecoclub from Chhattisgarh, Kerala and Telangana who secured First, Second and Third position respectively.
Environment Education Awareness and Training
- In the fiscal year 1983-84, the Environment Education Awareness and Training (EEAT) was launched by the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) as the central sector scheme.
- It aims to promote environmental awareness among all sections of the society and to mobilize people’s participation for conservation of environment.
- Its objectives are achieved through the implementation of four programmes:
- National Green Corps (NGC),
- National Environment Awareness Campaign,
- Seminars/Workshops, and
- National Nature Camping Programme.
- Under these programmes, financial assistance is provided to various organisations for undertaking activities and awareness campaigns for the protection of environment in the country.
NGC- Ecoclub Programme
- Under National Green Corps (NGC), the Ecoclub programme was initiated in 2001-2002.
- To impart knowledge to school children through hands on experience, about their immediate environment, interactions within it and the problems therein.
- To inculcate compassion among people towards environment and sensitize children on issues related to environment and development.
- To build young cadres of students and trigger their sensitivity towards environment protection and conservation. Although it is envisaged that the number of Ecoclubs must be enhanced from about 1.5 lakh at present to 2 lakh in the ensuing year 2020-21.