Bharatmala Project | 24 Jul 2019
A total of 225 road projects with an aggregate length of 9,613 km have been appraised and approved till March, 2019 under Bharatmala Pariyojana.
- Optimizing efficiency of the movement of goods and people across the country.
- Generating large number of direct and indirect employment opportunities in the construction & infrastructure sector and also as part of the enhanced economic activity resulting from better road connectivity across the country.
- Connecting 550 Districts in the country through NH linkages.
Highlights of Bharatmala Pariyojana
- It calls for improvement in efficiency of existing corridors through development of Multimodal Logistics Parks and elimination of choke points.
- It enhances focus on improving connectivity in North East and leveraging synergies with Inland Waterways.
- North East Economic corridor enhancing connectivity to state capitals and key towns.
- Multimodal freight movement via 7 Waterway terminals on River Brahmaputra – Dhubri, Silghat, Biswanath Ghat, Neamati, Dibrugarh, Sengajan, Oriyamgh.
- It emphasis on the use of technology & scientific planning for project preparation and asset monitoring.
- It calls for seamless connectivity with neighboring countries:
- 24 Integrated check posts (ICPs) identified
- Transit through Bangladesh to improve North East connectivity
- Integrating Bangladesh – Bhutan – Nepal and Myanmar – Thailand corridors which will make NorthEast hub of East Asia
- Satellite mapping of corridors to identify upgradation requirements